Case Study 4

Case Study 4

Sports Injury

Whilst playing in the first rugby match of the season I received a knock to my leg which just felt like a bad dead leg. Being a rugby player, I played through the pain for the rest of the match and walked a few miles to a friend’s house when it had finished. By the end of the walk my leg still wasn’t feeling any better, as I had expected it to, and I was by this time limping on it quite badly.

I thought that a night’s sleep would be the best way to go but when the morning came there was swelling around my knee.

That evening I went to the hospital and straight away they were worried I had torn a tendon in my knee and were saying surgery was the natural course for this type of injury. The next day I had various scans on my leg which revealed that it was only a partial tear of my quad tendon. Nevertheless the surgeon was still debating whether or not to operate in order to repair the damage as I still couldn’t use the muscles in my thigh to straighten my leg and couldn’t bend my leg past a few degrees without a great deal of pain.   In the end surgery was postponed for a week to see if intense physiotherapy would help.

After only a few weeks of treatment I was back on the rugby field

It was then that I came to see Nick Clunies-Ross, a sports injury specialist at the clinic. He saw straight away how gutted I would be if I had to have surgery, as I would then miss most of the rugby season, so he saw me twice that week in order to give me the best shot at escaping it.  The treatment he used was designed to get as much flexibility back into my quad as he could because it would alleviate the pain and enable me to flex my leg. This involved deep heat treatment, ultrasound and massage and he helped me to understand how each treatment worked which was quite impressive given my limited knowledge of biology.  He also explained exactly what my injury was.  I found it very reassuring to know exactly how I had injured myself and how it was going to be treated. Needless to say there was enough of an improvement for the surgeon to again delay the decision for surgery.

I continued to see Nick twice a week and did my exercises twice a day. At the end of four weeks the doctors ruled out surgery which came as a great relief.  However, I still wanted to get back to playing rugby as soon as possible so I continued to see Nick once or twice a week. When I had regained close to full flex, through countless exercises and massages, the sessions concentrated on rebuilding the strength in my leg.  After only a few weeks of treatment I was back on the rugby field. What seemed at first like an injury that would keep me out for 4 or 5 months ended up only being 8 weeks off sport and I can put that all down to the incredible treatment I received, without which I would still be sitting at home, bored, every Saturday afternoon.

Spike (Rugby Player)

Treatments Used

Hands-On Therapy


Improves/maintains the benefit gained with treatment.
Helps with recovery of normal function.
Reduces the risk of the injury recurring.


Uses electrical modalities to stimulate healing and enhance recovery of muscles and joints.

Home Exercises

An integral part of treatment, an individualised home exercise programme is used to reinforce the benefits made during treatment and to progress recovery.

Conditions Treated

Upper Limb

Lower Limb


Sports Injuries


More ...